In 1635, His Lordship de Rosmadec, Bishop of Vannes, asked the monastery of Dieppe to send some religious to serve the poor and the sick in the « good city of Vannes ». An hospital existed already in the neighbourhood of St. Nicolas, and it is close to the St. Patern gate that our four Norman sisters settled down. Their task was to train “devout girls” of this hospital to care for the sick and the poor.
They settled down, after many mishaps: there was no place to accomodate them, people reproached them for coming to eat the food of the poor and they had finally to pay a pension to obtain the right to treat the sick. They were deeply dependent on “City Authorities”, etc…
We know that in Vannes, our Sisters sing the divine office, pray at 4 o’clock every morning and attend daily mass. Then, they serve the poor according to their personal wishes. Around 9 PM they would rest, while one or two sisters would stay at the bedside of the poor.
There were few resources, a lack of equipement, the place was damp, with a confined atmosphere and the food less than frugal. In spite of everything, they held out, happy to serve Jesus Christ by serving the poor.