On April 7, 1915, as soldiers were arriving in Malestroit, the rooms which had accomodated refugees from Belgium were converted to a military infirmary. Once again, the Sisters of Mercy bustled about the bedsides of soldiers.
On September 13, 1918, the entire Community met for an event which led to a revitalization of the house : the consecration to the Sacred Heart, a consecration which, from that time on, has been renewed every year on the same date.
In 1919, Doctor Daversin resumed his project of creating a private surgical hospital. True, all is still modest, but little by little improvements were carried out; on the 1st floor : rooms, an operating area, with its annexes, and a consultation room. Medical supervision was provided by an inhabitant of Malestroit, Doctor Emmanuel Mabin.
Then, young girls arrived to this community. Among them, Yvonne Beauvais, who entered on March 18, 1927. There was much work to be done. The hospital even had to refuse sick persons because of a lack of room. Thus, it was necessary to build new buildings. On June 21, 1928, the first stone of what would become the actual private hospital was blessed. Work proceeded rapidly, with inauguration taking place one year later.
As at other times in the past, money continued to be a problem. While we could not say like certain Augustinians in the past « To have something to eat, we had to skip the evening meal», it was far from being a situation of abundance. But the prayers and trust of the Sisters secured the support of generous benefactors, mainly from Mr René Bolloré. The treasurer and the driving force of these audacious works was Sister Yvonne Aimée, who entered the noviciate the previous year.
The Monastery, so old, and now too narrow because of numerous vocations, required some transformations : cloister, dining hall, chapel. At last, in 1935, tricentennial anniversary of the Community, the old people’s home was replaced by a hospital ward : one part for sick children, the other for retired priests of the diocese. It is today the Saint Thérèse retirement home.